Well, in anticipation for K getting the Pox (no signs yet), I decided to make a ton of yummy, nutritious, immune supporting soup. I made ~ a gallon and put a bunch in the freezer. Here’s the recipe:
- Place 4 chicken legs (fat and skin removed) in ~ one gallon of water with 2 crushed garlic cloves and 2 green onions and simmer until the meat falls off the bones. (Crush the garlic 10 minutes before using it to activate the medicinal properites.)
- Take the bones out of the soup and leave the meat
- Add into the broth: 3 chopped red potatoes, one chopped burdock root, one shreaded turmeric root (~2 inches), and one cup of dry rice, and simmer for ~30 minutes
- Add ~10 sliced Shitake mushrooms, a handful of Wakame seaweed (dry), 2 handfuls of kale, 5 crushed cloves of garlic and 5 green onions, and simmer for another 15 minutes
- This soup is fairly bland, which is good if you are sick, but if you want more flavor, add Miso paste to taste. I add ~ 1 heaping Tbsp each time I heat up enough soup to feed the three of us. Once you heat the soup take it off the heat and strain off some liquid into a bowl. Add the Miso paste to this liquid and stir it well. Then add this miso fluid back to the main soup, mix and serve.