Things have mostly stopped producing in the garden now.Â I still have kale, chard, snap peas, a little bit of tromboncino squash, and some arugula that reseeded itself.Â But, I’m not doing much harvesting.Â I’m so over the kale and chard.Â I haven’t felt like eating it in months!Â My plans for any type of winter garden have ended.Â I need a break.Â I want to put the garden to bed and not think about it for a while.Â I’m sure there’s something I’m supposed to be doing to it right now… adding compost or cover crops or something, but I just don’t want to be out in the garden.Â I hope this will pass next year and that it’s just related to having a new baby.Â I feel like my time is so stretched thin.Â If I have a moment to myself, I want to do something for myself, not be out weeding.
So, the harvest is a little light this months:
- Eggs – 127 (most of the girls are now molting…. considering we now have about 25 laying hens, we should have 3 times that amount of eggs a months)
- Raspberries – ~3 quarts
- cherry tomatoes – never get weighed, they are eaten right off the vine
- Leeks – 3#
- chard – 4 oz
- peas – 1#
- Summer Squashes – 6# 9 oz.
- Winter Squashes – 11 #
- Cukes – 10# 4oz (gave it all away… couldn’t eat another cuke, and we have over 50 qt. in the pantry!!)
- potato – 16# 5 oz
- Sunflower seeds – 8 oz
- Green beans – 8 oz (these are still producing, but the trellis collapsed on itself, and I didn’t feel like picking it all back up 🙂
It was a very rainy month!! – 8.25 inchesÂ The chickens were not happy and have been ill on and off because of all the yeast and molds.
To end on a happy note… here is Leif in one of his favorite positions (that smile looks kind of crazy upside down, doesn’t it?):