For a family that lives on 25 acres, we seem to spend most of our time indoors, especially in the winter. Now that Kaia is at home most days, I thought it increasingly more important to make getting outside a priority! So, we’ve added a weekly Outdoor Hour Challenge to our studies. This week, we got outside and made it a point to keep quiet and listen to the things around us. It was so peaceful and replenishing. The 20 minutes outside turned into a couple of hours for Kaia while she ‘ice skated’ on a puddle of water.
Here are my notes from the things I heard/sensed/saw while outside:
- The trickle of water from the stream to the pond
- paw prints (raccoon?) in the snow on the pond’s ice
- the crunch of our feet falling on the snow
- crisp, cool smell of the air
- happy bock-bocking of the chickens enjoying the warmth after a month of freezing temps.
- snapping of the branches in the trees
- young buds of this years leaves and fruit on our trees.
- the smile on Leif’s face as he looks up to the clouds